WebParts cannot be added with SharePoint Designer

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM
Hi,

(Firstly, great work Mikko!  Love your work.)

I'm using the SlideShow, VideoPlayer and PageRating parts with great success.

Problem when using SharePoint Designer (SPD)
When I add these webparts using the browser, everything works perfectly. But when I try to add a webpart using SPD, then it fails.
The WebPart shows up in the list of webparts in SPD, but when I add it, it fails.
Also, lets say I added a webpart to a page using the browser, and then edit that page afterwards with SPD, the webpart no longer works. (This is very frustrating, because then I have to remove the webpart, and add it in the browser again. It also means that if I have WebPartZone that I don't allow the user to modify, I cannot use any of these webparts.)

I seem to be getting different behaviours depending on which webpart I'm trying to add.
Ticker:
     Its adds it, but in the designer it complains about "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
The rest (Accordion, Slideshow, PageRating, Video Player)
    It adds a box where the part goes, but its gray, and complains about "Cannot create an object of type System.Web.UI.Scriptmanager from its string representation for the ScriptManager Property.

Sometimes, with all of them, SPD never adds the web part. When you try to add it,  SPD says "fetching information about the web part", and stays there forever

Is anyone else using SharePoint Designer?   Any problems when using these webparts?

Regards,
-Louis de Klerk
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Hi and thanks for the kind words!

I have to admit that I haven't tested SharePoint Designer with these web parts. The problem with ScriptManager is related to ajax somehow. If someone has more information about this issue, please post here. I will also test this more in near future so if you wait for next release, I'll probably get this resolved. The next release is scheduled in septem...late october 2008. :)

-Mikko